Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My MIV transformation turned out a little wonky. The hypothesis was that RecJ- and ExoI- would transform just as well as KW20 (the wildtype strain I'm using; it has genes of the bacterium as found in nature).

However, wildtype plates showed many more colonies than RecJ- and ExoI- plates. For example, KW20 with novobiocin resistance (by giving it MAP7 DNA) had 46 colonies (on a E-2 plate) whereas RecJ- had none!

I guess that doesn't mean anything without looking at the plain plates. The wildtype plates had around 3-4 times as many colonies as the RecJ- and ExoI- plates. Huh.

But when I repeated the experiment today, I noticed that some tubes of MIV-competent cells looked like they contained more cells than others. For example, the KW20 eppendorfs had a little brown mound at the bottom of the tube after centrifugation, whereas RecJ- and ExoI- were juuuust visible. Could it be that there's just a higher concentration of KW20 cells than the other strains? Hm.

If some RecJ- and ExoI- cells shown up on the novobiocin, I could have found transformation frequencies and compared them across strains. This is more important than simply the numbers of colonies, I reckon.

In other news:

1. I found out why I see green or blue backpacks all the time in LSC (the building in which our lab is located). The med students get free backpacks, and they get different colours according to their graduating year.

2. I haven't been much of a hockey fan since we lost television, but listening to last night's game was a gut-wrenching, hand-wringing, hair-pulling-outing, and teeth-grinding sort of experience.

3. Today's election day! I'll admit, even though I've been old enough to vote since... the last election (?), I am a first-time voter. :S Democracy! Huzzah! Viva la revolucion!

1 comment:

Rosie Redfield said...

Sometimes a 'wonky' result is because something has gone wrong with the experiment, but sometimes it's because the initial assumption was wrong!