Thursday, May 21, 2009

Using the MIV-competent KW20 strain made yesterday, I did a transformation today.

Basically, you thaw the cells, spin them down, resuspend them in fresh MIV, add MAP7 DNA to the "+" DNA tube, incubate the tubes for 15 minutes, take them out, resuspend them in sBHI and incubate for 90 minutes (for them to be able to express the gene for tetracycline resistance), take them out, dilute, plate, shake, incubate!

I wonder if there's another word for "dilute" that ends in -ate. Hmmm... although not a real word, I think "unconcentrate" is the best.

I've also been organizing my lab book. It's started to fill up since the beginning of May, and I'm starting to get confused between "2nd attempt at..." and "3rd time transforming...". I've labeled my pages and filled out the table of contents. Today was the 8th experiment (E08) into my project! Maybe every 10th experiment I should eat something fantastic.

P.S. What are the Hallams doing? A camera guy has been following their lab members around all day.

1 comment:

Rosie Redfield said...

The Hallams may be doing more JoVE stuff. JoVE is the Journal of Visualized Experiments.