I counted my dprARecJ-- and dprAExoI-- colonies today, and they're looking OK. I picked out easily choose-able colonies and streaked them on kan-tet plates.
I tried to re-read the paper by Kumar et al. to glean more information from it, but... I didn't get much. I'll give it another go tomorrow, and I'll take notes as I read. That ought to help.
I've also been reading Mr. Tufte's The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, and it has some of the most interesting graphs I have ever seen, I kid you not. I was amazed at this one in particular:It's on the front cover, so I thought it was some complex Physics stuff, but it's a train schedule! The horizontal lines are stations and the diagonal lines show when a train left a station and when it will arrive at another.
Sometime later, we're going to order primers for PCR to check that my cells have the genotype I want them to have. Man, there were so many PCR questions in Biol 112. Hope it comes in handy.