Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Learned a lot of stuff from my turn at lab meeting yesterday. I've done many presentations before, thanks to IB, but they were mostly about Ethics or How Education Can Break the Cycle of Poverty, etc, etc... I'm new at talking about data. I have 17 points of advice written in my lab book, such as:

Always state the purpose/aim/goal of an experiment before going into procedural details.

Think about controls: negative and positive.

Group the experiments/data according to topic to keep thoughtflow.

And much much more. I hope to keep these points in mind and really improve in my next presentation! :]

Today I transformed some cells to create dprARecJ-- and dprAExoI-- double mutants. I have 7 cultures:
1. RecJ- cells without any DNA given
2. RecJ- cells given ~1ug of dprA::kanR DNA
3. ExoI- cells without any DNA given
4. ExoI- cells given ~1ug of dprA::kanR DNA
5. dprA- cells without any DNA given
6. dprA- cells given ~1ug of RecJ::tetR DNA
7. dprA- cells given ~1ug of ExoI::tetR DNA.

Hold on, yes, I know the dprA- cells don't transform well. I'm transforming them as a double-check. These guys shouldn't transform very well.

Also, the dprA::kanR DNA is some that I extracted, using the old-school non-kit method, from some stock, and it still has a lot of RNA left in it. Rosie said only about a tenth of the mass would probably be actual DNA, so I used quite a lot. 10 times more a lot, actually. :| Hope this works. Would having extra DNA floating around to take up be worse than having too little DNA to take up? Hm.

1 comment:

Rosie Redfield said...

Even though I harassed you mercilessly I thought it was an excellent presentation.